Great Shefford Parish Council
The Parish Council consists of seven Councillors, including one who represents Shefford Woodlands, and administration is undertaken by the Clerk
Meetings are held in the Village Hall on the first Thursday of every month (except August) starting at 7.40 p.m. All are welcome to attend, and there is an opportunity for public discussion early in the proceedings. The Agenda is published a few days before the meeting. The Minutes of the meeting are approved at the following meeting but are available for download from the Great Shefford website in draft form usually the 10 days after the meeting.
The Annual Parish Meeting is held in May.
The Role of the Parish Council is to:
- Act as the principle link between the residents of the Parish and West Berkshire Council
- Advise West Berkshire Council on all Planning Applications relevant to the Parish
- Maintain and enhance the Recreation Ground and other open spaces within the Parish
- Monitor and liaise with the appropriate authority on footpaths, highways and traffic, social issues.
- Foster and encourage community spirit by facilitating events such as Parish Walks and the Village Fayre and supporting initiatives like the Parish News, the Parish Plan, litter-picking days.
- Communicating its activities and concerns to the Parish residents.
Funding for the Councilís activities is provided mostly by the parish precept element of the Council Tax which in 20010/11 was £10,711. 2011/12 figure will be available shortly.